Thursday, August 17, 2006

No more feeding tube

To make a really long story short Drew no longer has her feeding tube.
It was quite traumatic how it happened, maybe more so for me than her. Her tube attachment got caught under the side of the door and I picked up and did not notice and pulled it out of her stomach. She cried for like 30 seconds and was completely fine and still is.
We rushed to the ER and they could not get it back in so they gave me 2 choices, either send her to New Orleans to go into surgery to put it back in or leave it out. I instantly opted for leaving it out. I called Dr. Bob and he also said to leave it out. They were going to take it out in 5 months anyway so why put her through another surgery. The hole has completely closed up already. They said it takes like 24-48 hours. Hers closed up in one hour. I was at the Er within 15 minutes but I guess still not fast enough.
It was totally my fault and I feel awful for having to put her through all of that but it ended up working in her favor. NO MORE TUBE!
We were not sleeping well at night worried that she would strangle herself witht he feeding tube cord. We would wake up several times a night with it wrapped around her neck. :O
She has been eating most of her milk and lots of table food by mouth. She was just getting like 9 ounces of milk from her tube while she slept. We had planned on taking her off completely friday night so this is just 2 days earlier.
Drew is doing great and drinking more milk today than she ever has. WOOHOO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my... that story makes me squirm!!! Poor Drew, or should I say mom. I'm sure that was a nice little PANIC!!!
Amy

Anonymous said...

Oh Brandy, I am so sorry you had to go through that! But I am happy that Drew did not hurt too badly and that it has all worked out in everyone's favor. PTL Just one more thing showing God's in control.
We will continue to pray for Drew's quick recovery & increased appetite!!
Love you all,
Kim F.

amber said...

Yikes! How scary! Glad everything worked out! Love you guys!