Wednesday, October 05, 2005

SAD :(

I don't even know where to start.
The doctor came and told us Monday that Drew was going to be coming home Thursday. This is exciting news right????
Well I slept there Monday night and learned how to use all of her equipment and how to give her meds and all. The doctor comes back yesterday and says that there has been a change of plans. He talked to the Infectious Disease doctor and she said Drew needs to have surgery to have the clot in her heart removed. Which was a big shock to us b/c the cardiologist never seemed worried about it, but that is a whole other story. So…. her doctor said they are not going to do an open heart surgery just for that that they might as well repair her hole in her heart too. I am okay with that, what I am not okay with is he wants to send us back to New Orleans. I do NOT want to go back there at all. We would be going to Children’s hospital which was not affected by the hurricane but still. He said they will have Children’s setup to do pediatric surgery in a few weeks. I can’t send my baby girl there. We are going to talk to the doctor about it and express how we feel and see if we can go somewhere else. He wants us to go to NO because that is where this “great” surgeon will be.
We will be camping out at women’s for the next month and then off to surgery and staying at that hospital for recovery for another month after that.
Could you all pray that this clot just dissolves so Drew doesn’t have to go through all of this.
The surgery for the whole in her heart can wait for a while as long as that clot dissolves.

2 comments:

Hip Girl said...

I say a prayer for you and Drew everyday.
She has already grown so much bigger and stronger that if they have to do the surgery I'm sure it will all go well.

Anonymous said...

please call me. My husband is Brendan Heckman and we too had a son w/ vsd. I know what you are going through. You can check van's site @ vanheckman.com
You can call me anytime. Best of luck!
Michelle Heckman 615-945-4811